This video shows you how to make Summer Sausage at home with Venison, Italian Sausage bought from store, with Casings, curing salt, and the perfect seasoning mix all without an expensive Sausage Stuffing Machine! You can do it by hand yourself. And you’ll be glad you did!
If you have a kitchen aid mixer you can get the Kitchen Aid Meat Grinder Attachment off Amazon for only $36. Well worth it.
1). $12.72 Summer Sausage Seasoning mix: https://www.sausagemaker.com/Game-Summer-Sausage-Seasoning-2-lbs-14-oz-p/12-1024.htm
2a). $8.69 Collagen Casings (More Permeable, Can absorb smoke flavor-for smoking)
60mm 2 3/8″ x 24″ Collagen casings (More permable. Best for use with a smoker): https://www.sausagemaker.com/60mm-2-1-3-x-24-Collagen-Casings10tied-p/17-1713.htm
2b). $5.03 Fibrous Casings (Stronger, Easier to Stuff. This is what I used in video)
61mm 2 3/8″ x 24″ Fibrous Casings: https://www.sausagemaker.com/61mm-2-3-8-x-24-Clear-Fibrous-Summer-Casing10-p/17-2012.htm
3). $3.96 Curing Salt #1: https://www.sausagemaker.com/searchresults.asp?Search=curing+salt+%231&Submit=
1 Teaspoon(6 grams) per 5 lbs. or 1.2 grams per 1 lb.
*There are 28 grams in one ounce, so this stuff goes a long way.
4). $3.49 Butcher Twine 500ft. more than enough:
1 lb. = 16 oz. (448 grams)
1 oz. = 28 grams
80% Venison + 20% Sausage (or fat) Mix per pound
12.80oz. (358.40g) Venison – 3.20oz. (89.60g) Sausage
75% Venison + 25% Sausage (or fat) Mix per pound
12.00oz. (336.00g) Venison – 4.00oz. (112.00g) Sausage
70% Venison + 30% Sausage (or fat) Mix per pound
11.20oz (313.60g) Venison – 3.80oz. (106.40g) Sausage
1.25oz. (35 grams) per 1 lb.
Curing Salt #1
1 Teaspoon (6 grams) per 5 lbs. or 1.2 grams per 1 lb.
- Cube Venison -12oz.
- Cube Sausage -4oz.
- Add Sausage with Venison in mixing bowl
- Add Seasoning (35 grams per 1 lb)
- Add Curing Salt (1.2 grams per 1 lb)
- Mix with hands
- Add mixture to Meat Grinder with larger bit
- Tie off one end of casing with butcher twine. Then add small meatball size bits through opening. Squeeze meat down, squeeze air up and out, repeat until 4-6in full from top.
- Twist top, then tie of with butcher twine.
- Place DIRECTLY ON OVER RACKS, not on tray. (If you place on a tray, it will cook uneven.) 200 degrees with oven door cracked open for 3hr 30min. until internal temp reached 150 degrees. Let rest for one hour. Place in fridge or freezer. Enjoy!
Tell me how I did, by leaving a comment. What would you have liked to see different for next seasons video? What percentage of summer sausage do you like best?
Do you like hot sausage? I’m growing Carolina Reaper peppers this season and will make hot sausage with it as soon as they mature.
Thanks for viewing. I appreciate your support.
Follow me on: